Privacy & Security
Information CollectedThe Texas Ethics Commission uses server logs and log analysis tools to create summary statistics about the use of this Web site. The summary statistics are used for purposes such as assessing what information is of most interest to users, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
The following information is an example of the type of information that may be collected for this analysis:
- User/client hostname - The hostname (or IP address, if DNS is disabled) of the user/client requesting access.
- HTTP header, "user-agent" - The user-agent information includes the type of browser used, the browser version, and the operating system it is running on.
- HTTP header, "referer" - The referer specifies the page from which the user/client accessed the current page.
- System date - The date and time of the user/client request.
- Full request - The exact request the user/client made.
- Status - The status code the server returned to the user/client.
- Content length - The content length, in bytes, of the document sent to the user/client.
- Method - The request method used.
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI) - The location of a resource on the server.
- Query string of the URI - Anything after the question mark in a URI.
- Protocol - The transport protocol and version used.
For site security purposes and to ensure that the site remains available to all users, the Commission uses software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this site are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Texas Penal Code Chapters 33 (Computer Crimes) or 33A (Telecommunications Crimes).
E-mail:If you send the Commission an electronic mail message with a question or comment that contains personally identifying information, or fill out a form that e-mails the Commission this information, please note that all information collected, assembled, or maintained under a law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by a governmental body is "public information" subject to the Texas Public Information Act, Government Code chapter 552.1
Information is presumed public unless expressly restricted by statute or judicial decision (see our Open Records Policy). In addition, the Commission may redirect your message to another government agency or person who is in a better position to answer your question.
Web-based forms:The Texas Ethics Commission may use Web-based forms for collecting survey results, for registration for training events, or in the administration of laws under the Commission's jurisdiction. Personally identifiable information collected from these forms is subject to the Texas Public Information Act, Government Code chapter 552.1
Documents or any additional evidence relating to the processing, preliminary review, informal hearing, or resolution of a sworn complaint or motion are not subject to the Texas Public Information Act, Government Code chapter 552. Gov't Code sec. 571.139(a); see also id. sec. 571.140.
The Texas Ethics Commission follows the guidelines established by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Section 508 standards, and the Texas Administrative Code Section 206. The Texas Ethics Commission is committed to providing accessibility for users with varying disabilities.
- incorporates CSS, to control the layout of all webpages for ease of access.
- supplies alternate text for images, for users that are visually impaired.
- has a sitemap, allowing screen readers to easily use plain text for navigation.
- uses meaningful links, for users that require screen readers.
- uses proper coding styles and edicate, allowing screen readers to easily interpret the pages.
- uses subtitles in our instructional videos.
In accordance with TAC 213, The Texas Ethics Commission has designated an Accessibility Coordinator to assist with keeping our content in compliance with standards regarding accessibility.
For questions, comments, or concerns, please email email@example.com
Use of this Internet site ("Site") is governed by the following terms, conditions, and disclaimers (collectively, the "Terms"). Your use of this Site means you, the "Site Visitor," agree to the Terms. The Terms shall inure to the benefit of the State of Texas, the Texas Ethics Commission and its divisions, and their successors and assigns (collectively, "the Commission").
This Site may include facts, views, opinions, or recommendations of individuals or organizations not affiliated with the Commission. The Commission does not endorse or guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of these facts, views, opinions, or recommendations.
The Site Visitor uses this Site and the information provided on this Site "as is," without warranty of any kind. The Commission makes no warranties, either express or implied, regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or completeness of the information provided on this Site. The Commission disclaims all express and implied warranties of any nature related to this Site, including without limitation, any and all implied warranties of fitness for any particular purpose intended by any Site Visitor and any and all implied warranties of merchantability. The Commission does not warrant the results obtained from the use, if any, of information contained within this Site.
The Commission shall not be liable, regardless of the cause or duration, for any errors, inaccuracies, omissions, or other defects, or untimeliness, of information contained within this Site, or for any delay or interruption in the transmission thereof to the Site Visitor, or for any claim of loss arising therefrom, or occasioned thereby. The Commission shall not be liable for any damages, of any type or nature whatsoever, occasioned by the actions or omission of actions, if any, taken in reliance upon any information contained within this Site.